|Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Instead of throwing burgers or steaks on the grill, why not pick up a few fresh eggplants from the local farmers market? Eggplants are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, and this Italian-inspired veggie sandwich takes just 15 minutes to prepare.
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces mozzarella, preferably fresh fior di latte style
- 1 1/2 pounds small or medium eggplant
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices crusty bread
Prep - 15 min | Total time - 15 min | Yield: Serves 4
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and place in a bowl or mortar with a pinch of salt.
- Mash with the back of a spoon or a pestle until nearly liquefied.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and let stand for an hour or so to allow the flavors to blend.
- Combine the olive oil and garlic and set aside.
- Slice the cheese across the grain and leave it out of the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before assembling the sandwiches.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise about 1/4 inch thick and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Grill over a moderately hot fire (or broil about 3 inches from a preheated broiler), basting with the garlic-flavored oil after each turn, until tender and nicely browned.
- Remove from the heat and top each slice with mozzarella.
- Toast the bread slices on the same fire, then spread a little basil mayonnaise on one or both slices before making the sandwiches.
Recipe courtesy of MNN.com.